CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Real men don't do that!

Okay, so over the Labor day weekend AJ managed to get a really nice sunburn. We're talking almost purple color, couldn't even bend or raise his arms. He went swimming with a friend, and "forgot" to put sunscreen on. That wouldn't have happened had I not been in the shower when he left! Those are things I don't forget, which is odd seeing as I'm the least likely to burn in our house. His Dad was too busy doing some work on his computer to notice, he pretty much just nods his head at us and answers, "ya sure," to whatever we ask! Believe me, it would be sooo easy to take advantage of that, but seeing as I'm a super nice person, I don't! Well, not usually and definitely not lately! I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and be a more thoughtful/forgiving/postive person! So that really doesn't have anything to do with this post, but you know how easily I'm side-tracked! Aaaany who, the bottom line is AJ is apparently still young enough to forget such important things, and I should really be better about "telling" him things he needs to do, prior to taking a shower and allowing him to leave the house! I need to work on that! So, back to the burn. He's out in the sun sans sunscreen for no less than three hours. NICE! I know! Where as I would've gotten an awesome tan, and I totally miss those days that I had that kind of time to spend at the pool, my son is not so lucky! Although, since I've become older I do put sunscreen on myself, especially since the Adams are sooo prone to sunburn, I want to be a good example. Plus, skin cancer is not something I would like for my family to acquire and Adam Sr.'s family does have a family history of said cancer! What was I talking about? Oh yeah, Adam's beautifully horribly sunburn! Beautiful because I happen to love the color pink and it makes his cute little freckles more noticeable! Horrible because it looks like it hurts pretty badly! Well, poor kid is sooo miserable he ends up missing a few days of school and a couple baseball games, which he lives for! So, one night I'm putting milk of magnesia on him to soothe the pain, which it did. By the way, he wasn't a fan of the aloe with lidocaine spray I had! It actually shoots out like a fire hose and "stings like the Dickens" according to him, so he was not a fan of the aloe! So, I got the milk of magnesia idea off of a website. Could've been webmd., but I can't recall! I read several websites. I don't have much first hand experience with treating a sunburn, so I had to do a little research on that one. Another thing that helped was hydro cortisone cream 1%, if anyone is ever looking for a remedy. Oh another that sounded good, but I wasn't about to waste gallons of milk that my children would much rather drink, was taking a bath in a tub full of milk. But, again I digress! What's new, right? So, I'm applying the milk of magnesia and he looks just miserable, so I say as I lean forward, "let me give you some air hugs and air kisses to make it all better!" His sweet reply to me, "Real men don't do that!" Stands there and looks at me as if I'm from some other planet. Looking slightly confused and a little disturbed by my simple suggestion! So of course being the grown-up I am, I did the hand signal for "whatever major loser," to which I was greeted with a look of pure pity and disgust! Ahhh...pre-teens! I can only imagine the joyous declarations I have to look forward to when he's an actual teenager! Anyone have a good spell for freezing time? It was worth a shot! Oh and did I mention he has started peeling and was kind enough to put a piece of his dried up dead skin on me and threaten to do the same to Avery. He was even nice enough to tell her it would stay on her FOREVER! What a wonderful reaction she had to her brothers teasing! I love that guy! Remember, I'm being more positive! Better go, I think he's about to throw one of her barbies down the stairs to her inevitable death! He's such a kidder!

4 comments:

The Walker Family said...

Oh man, I am so happy to hear from you. Are you guys loving it up there? AJ's sunburn sounds like it hurt really bad. He'll probably never do that again. Hope you're happy and doing well. We miss you. :)

Wendy said...

You're so funny! Way to go, Dr. MOM!

Karen said...

You are hilarious! Poor kid. Can't wait to try the milk of magnesia idea.

Heather said...

Poor Adam I totally can relate. I never had heard of the milk of mag but makes sense. I do agree with the aloe. Certain brands just make it sting worse. I am glad to hear he is much better and back to his usual joking self.